How to Become a Neurofeedback Service Provider

Many people become interested in the field of neurofeedback after experiencing neurofeedback sessions or reading about it. You may be wondering biofeedback treatment who can be a Neurotherapist, and how would one get started in entering the field of EEG biofeedback?

Neurofeedback Service Providers include:

1. Licensed health care practitioners
2. Institutions such as an Addiction Treatment Centers, Mental Health or Wellness Centers
3. Licensed educators and schools

Licensed health care professionals include, but are not limited to: Psychologists, Psychiatrists, Social Workers, Educators, Medical Doctors, Nurses and Physical Therapists. There are a number of states sponsoring House Bills that encourage alternative practitioners to work with medical doctors without the need for a state license. The first state to pass this important piece of legislature was New Mexico with their landmark House Bill 0664, the “Unlicensed Health Care Practice Act”, which took effect in 2009. This new legislature is evolving after a 1997 Harvard Medical School study revealed that Americans made 627 million visits to alternative medicine practitioners, and spent $27 billion of their own money to pay for alternative therapies.

In contrast, Americans made only 386 million visits to their family doctor. In New Mexico this new title is called a Complementary and Alternative Health Care Practitioner (CAHCP), and the domain of complementary and alternative healing methods and treatments include: Ayurveda, Detoxification Practices, Homeopathy, Holistic Kinesiology, and Meditation and Mind-body practices such as EEG biofeedback. Look up the current status of “Health Freedom” legislature in your own state to read about the varying requirements for licensure.

Institutions such as addiction treatment centers, mental health facilities, wellness centers and schools have licensed professionals on staff who can supervise a certified neurofeedback technician who may or may not have a clinical degree. There are two organizations that provide neurofeedback certification: NTCB and BCIA. Both organizations offer a range of certification programs depending on clinical degree and objectives, and have done a wonderful job of legitimizing and protecting the integrity of the neurofeedback field.

Once certified by either the NTCB or BCIA, the Biofeedback Association (BANA) offers their members group insurance rates for natural and alternative therapies including professional and general liability insurance plus prepaid conflict resolution. Medical professionals can instead join the Medical Biofeedback Association (MBACB) section of the International Medical Association for Natural Therapies (IMANT), since the BANA insurance policy does not cover allopathic, chiropractic, counseling services, homeopathic, napropathic or naturopathic medical professionals. The MBACB insurance policy covers these professions.

Finally, you will need to make a decision about equipment and training. There are a range of choices out there and you will need to do your homework. Check back for future articles about questions to ask yourself as you shop for a neurofeedback system.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *